Pages

18.9.12

A Short-Lived Style: Crochet Braids

This past weekend I tried a new style! Crochet Braids! Crochet braiding is a technique of installing synthetic braiding hair into your braided hair using a crochet or latch hook needle. I had seen a couple of ladies on YouTube attempt this style and it caught my interest so I thought I'd give it a try.  I didn't do a tutorial only because there are so many great tutorials out there. The tutorial I followed can be found on ToysVoice's YouTube channel. She does a really great job at explaining how to install the crochet braids and her install came out beautifully.

The hair I used to do my crochet braids was the Freetress Water Wave Bulk Hair in 1B and 1B/30. I used 2 1/2 packs of hair. I cornrowed almost all of my hair straight back except for the hair around where I wanted my side-part. Here I braided my hair at a slant going toward my ears on either side of the part ( i am sorry I have no picture of that, I was in a rush!). While braiding my hair I moisturized with Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter Moisturizer and sealed with Carol's Daughter Hair Balm (love). After braiding, I proceed to crochet the hair in with a crochet I purchased at Walmart for $2.49. Installing the braids only took me 2 1/2 hours.

Here are some pictures of the crochet braids...



I liked it. I didn't love it though. There was nothing wrong with the style but for some reason I did not feel like I was in the 'mood' for such curly hair. This surprised me because I usually love big and curly hair! Because of this feeling, I told myself that I wouldn't keep them in too long. I didn't have to do much more convincing either because after a day of wearing the braids made my face feel really itchy. I have sensitive skin, but I didn't think that the braids would be so irritating (especially since I used to wear braids in the past).  It was was concerned for my skin so i planned to take them out after the weekend was over. My boyfriend really liked the style, so i let him enjoy it for a couple days lol! (he is the photographer by the way...). Something else that made me want to take the braids out asap is that when I was cornrowing my hair in preparation for the install I noticed my hair was pretty dry, even after moisturizing and sealing. My hair did not seem to be retaining any moisture. I still installed the braids because I was excited for the new style. I felt guilty, so again, I had no problem taking out the braids after the weekend.

6 comments:

  1. I was sooo planning to do this as my next long term protective style. I actually have a draft post from about 3 weeks ago called 'I want Crochet Braids'. Not so sure I still want them if they are gonna give me a rash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dear, I nominated you for the versatile blogger award because your blog is really lovely. Please check out my blog for details at www.wurassecrethair.blogspot.com

    PS. You can never have too many nominations :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE it on you:-) Very very Pretty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your blog, just started following and we would love it if you could follow us in return.
    Debbie from youareexotic.blogspot.com (Jamaica)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have visited your blog and I am now a follower! Love it!

      Delete